Saturday, October 31, 2009

Mae Sees Her First Monster!

I'm long overdue for an update! Since it's Halloween...

Here's a video of Mae seeing her first monster! Watch it with full volume so you can hear what she's saying. Absolutely adorable.

"There's a monster in the living room... a little, tiny monster in the living room..."



And her Halloween costume for this year: Frida Kahlo!



Marvelous, isn't she? Being somewhat irreverent for Halloween, it was meant to be both hilarious and also serve as an adoring nod to this famous artist. After all, it is Dia de los Muertos in Mexico! If you aren't familiar with the name, start here at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frida_Kahlo

She was an extraordinary painter, a strong and vibrant female, a revolutionary woman, a beautiful spirit, and engaged the senses on multiple levels. I couldn't resist dressing Maelea in her image! Also, I knew she would be wearing a big, fuzzy, fantastic lion costume with her Papa so she wouldn't be missing out on the child-like fun of this holiday. Since Frida was familiar to Mae (several Frida self-portraits decorate my house), I felt it would be comfortable for her. Much to my surprise, she was very engaged with the Frida costume. At the end of the day she said, "Mama, I don't want to take off my pretty eyebrows!" I was so proud! I know she didn't fully understand it but we both definitely had a blast!

The one thing I didn't do this year was give her candy. She doesn't quite grasp the concept and I knew she wouldn't miss it as she hasn't eaten any with me yet. Since I'm sure there's plenty of it in her near future, we had chocolate milk instead!

Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

Chris said...

OMG..how cute is she! I love the eyebrows..